Monday, 19 December 2011

A Christmas Time Birthday

Well now where to begin?

Oh I know, it has to be the sight of Debra arriving home from work on her final day before the start of eleven days annual leave. Yes you guessed it, her nose was red as Rudolph's, her voice was as grating as the Grinch and her spluttering chest was as if she had been down a few chimneys, ho-ho-ho-ing all the way! In short she was full of a cold.

We still had a day or two before our trip to our favourite Manchester hotel, the Radisson Edwardian for a night out to celebrate her Birthday so I was optimistic. Just to be on the safe side I contacted the hotel and asked about their cancellation policy. My ever vigilant eye for a good deal had worked against me this time. I had booked the room via Hotels.com in advance which meant paying up front with no cancellation refund available. Looks like we are hitting Manchester and staying over whatever state you are in were my thoughts, obviously I relayed them more diplomatically to Debra.

The day arrived and Debra's nose had turned from a scarlet red to a deeper crimson with crusty, flaking bits of skin hanging from her nostrils. Her being the trooper that she is slapped a load of cover up foundation on and numerous other concoctions to make herself look as gorgeous as ever and we made our way to the hotel. Our room wasn't ready so I borrowed a brolly from the concierge and handed over our bags (yes bags as in plural, after all this is Debra we are talking about). A swift walk around the Christmas Markets in Albert Square then off to the Arndale Centre, Havey Nicks and Selfridges interspersed with trips to various watering holes to keep me from dying of boredom. By the time we had had lunch and returned to the hotel I was like a pissed up pack horse lugging countless bags behind her. Shopping and a few beers must have a medicinal effect on women!

Back in the hotel, bags in our room waiting, shower change and out again to the Hilton for a meal and a bop on the dance floor. By ten o clock Debra was knackered and feeling very poorly so we decided against a trip to the cloud bar for our cocktails and made our way back, which in hindsight was probably a good idea as I had totally gone three sheets to the wind. The next morning we made our way back to the shops and I was a hung over pack horse for the duration! All in all it was a great day and night spent out and about in town.

Unfortunately Debra's Birthday was a tea total affair as her cold had turned into sinusitis and chest infection so she was dosed up to the nines with Antibiotics and flu treatments. I will skip over that.

Sunday after her Birthday arrived along with a covering of beautiful snow and a blue sky above that was truly amazing. It is on days like these, when the light is so wonderful that I wish for the skills to be able to paint such beauty. Debra was feeling better, so we made our way up to Milnrow for a rendezvous with the Vaudrey clan, Chris and Jenny at the Belavista. As I drove onto the car park I was amazed that none of it had been gritted and the slope seemed to be like an ice rink. I dropped Deb and the kids off as close to the doors as possible then made my way to a parking space as far away from any other car as I could, then trudged through the snow to the front door. Everyone was there already chatting away. None of the staff greeted us to take our coats so I took myself off to the cloak room and found a vacant hook. I got the drinks in and shortly after placing our orders we were whisked into the restaurant. Having sat down for less than a few seconds and some not even sat down the starters arrived and were plonked down. It was going to be one of those cattle market meals, I could feel it in my bones! Starters and Mains dealt with in short shrift I decided to stretch out the time a little with a visit to the toilet, only to find that upon my return a non democratic coup of a decision had been made that we were forgoing the desserts and coffee! Well I am very sorry but when I go out for a meal I expect to be sat down for a little longer and have a stodgy sweet and coffee to wash it down with. So I argued my corner (if I had a ball I would have taken it home) and low and behold other members of the party decided that they wanted sweets and coffee too. Once the bill had been settled, out we went into the ice rink oops sorry, car park. Deb and the kids waited for me to skate to the car and pick them up the other cars had a hell of a job getting up the slope. Times like these I am thankful of our 4x4 !

We all made it back to Sandra and Sefton's safely. Coffee and Debs home made biscotti served, we all sang happy birthday to Deb, Sarah and Sandra as they blew out the candles on the fabulous cake baked by Sandra. Slices of said cake followed as did the sugar rush from all the sweets. It was really nice to have a pre Christmas/Birthday get together.

However Debra was a bit disappointed that no one commented on her beautiful Georg Jensen necklace except to ask if you could see through the glass drop!

LoL

No comments:

Post a Comment