Wednesday, 9 March 2011

The Benidorm Girl Comes Home

It has been rather strange this week.  My Mum has been in Benidorm with her dancing (biddies) buddies and I have had this funny feeling of anxiety.  I kept checking my phone for a text message, which was unusual for me, but after the initial text telling me that they had arrived safely and the usual weather report there had been no contact until I texted her asking her when the flight was due back in to Manchester including the usual "hope you have had a nice time" included.

I logged on to the Manchester airport website and checked the arrivals.  Thankfully they had arrived ahead of schedule and my anxiety levels diminished substantially.  After a few hours of waiting fr her to phone telling me that she was home I couldn't wait any longer.  She answered her mobile phone and was on her way home in the minibus dropping off the gang.  She seemed tired and down, after a minute of making sure she was alright she told me that she had lost her suitcase!   I started laughing and couldn't help myself.  Was my anxiety a premonition of nothing more than lost luggage?

She wasn't laughing of course, she was worried.

I have just spoken to her and found out that she was worried because she had packed her jewellery, which is not exactly the crown jewels but worth more to her for sentimental value than any mace, sceptre or crown could ever do.  To top it all a pouch containing a tiny amount of my Dads ashes that she carries with her everywhere was in the suitcase too.  Why on earth did you pack these things in your suitcase I asked her, she replied that she thought her suitcase was the safest place.  She has not flown for some years!

Hopefully the suitcase will turn up soon and she will be reunited with the items that mean the world to her.

Update: Thankfully the suitcase has turned up safe and sound!

No comments:

Post a Comment